Thermometer is a kind of instrument which you can use to measure your body temperature. You may have seen this device in hospitals where nurses and physicians use them for measuring patients’ body temperatures. Aside from this, they’re also utilized to quantify food, water and air temperatures. Mercury or medical thermometers are specifically designed in order to measure body temperatures. Read on to find out more.
In this guide, we’re going to concentrate on three types of thermometers: germ, infrared and digital. We will go into details of each kind of components that will assist you know more about these. This can make it simpler for you to select a unit that could meet your temperature measurement needs. Just be sure you know what you want.
First of all, you should shake the unit, which will move the mercury inside the tube. Next, you should place the marked part of the device under your tongue for around two minutes. Don’t open your mouth in this period or the reading may be inaccurate.
Another method is to place the meter into your armpit. With this method, you need to wait a bit longer, which ought to be at least 3 minutes.
This apparatus has a heat detector known as thermistor. What sets it apart from the mercury form is that it provides more flexibility. Additionally, it can give you an accurate reading in less than a moment.
This unit is more complex compared to the usual type. These devices comprise a semiconductor element for measuring temperature. The microprocessor within these thermometers can provide a reading in under 30 seconds. This unit gets the required power from a small battery. The internal microprocessor shuts off once retained on for an extended period of time.
These units utilize infrared light so as to quantify temperature. You do not have to touch your body with this device to find a reading. A major drawback of the meter is that they can only measure the temperatures on the surface of something. The advantage is they can instantly give an accurate reading.
- Allows rapid detection of body/surface temperature
- Allows rapid display of the effects on the LCD display
- The response of the device is quite quick
- May be used to measure temperatures between 89.6F and 108.5F
- Can help quantify the surface temperature without even touching the surface
- The alerts can be corrected to notify when the temperatures goes outside the programmed limit
- The optimal distance that the unit may measure the temperatures between is 1.9 and 5.9 inches
- The unit is sturdy enough to withstand drops
- There is no need to get replacement supplies
- Prevents the spread of disease from 1 individual to another